Colored Pencils & Canyons! 5-Day Artist's Retreat: Important Information
5-day workshop event in sunny St. George, Utah. 3 workshops, 3 teachers, and all kinds of fun-filled free events plus optional touring of stunning Bryce Canyon and gorgeous nearby Snow Canyon.
NEED TO KNOW:
Cost: Early Bird Special! $395 (ends November 1) $425 (after November 1)
Dates: April 28 – May 2, 2024
Location: Best Western Plus Abbey Inn 1129 S. Bluff St. | St. George, UT 84770
Workshops will be held in: Ballroom North
Sweet Succulent with Andria Burchett
Try a new surface: Plexiglass! On this sweet succulent still life under Andie’s expert guidance. You will learn how to prepare and alter the surface of the plexiglass, as well as, rotate layers of watercolor pencil, solvent, and dry colored pencil to achieve a translucent quality
Stellar Jay with Pearl de Chalain
Sticking with our desert theme, this beautiful fellow can be found in Bryce Canyon. You will be working on drafting film, as Pearl shows you the subtraction technique using the Slice tool and Mono eraser. You will also discover a handy trick to change the background instantly!
Southwest Glow with Amy Lindenberger
The perfect project to remember our fantastic time together! You will learn how to work from dark to light, using complimentary colors on colored paper to create this gorgeous desert scene. Amy has taught colored pencil widely for decades, and you will walk away with a plethora of knowledge on color theory!
Day 1 - Sunday, April 28:
- Meet & Greet plus Dessert Bar! 6:30pm – 7:30pm (more information in the “EVENTS” section below)
Day 2 - Monday, April 29:
- Workshop with Andria from 9:00am - 2:30pm
- Trip to nearby Snow Canyon at 3:00pm (optional, more information in the “EVENTS” section below)
Day 3 - Tuesday, April 30:
- Workshop with Pearl from 9:00am - 2:30pm
- Happy Hour with Ann from 4:00pm - 5:15pm (optional, more information in the “EVENTS” section below)
- Dinner in town together at 5:30pm (un-hosted, optional, more information in the “EVENTS” section below)
Day 4 - Wednesday, May 1:
- Bryce tour (optional, more information in the “EVENTS” section below)
Day 5 - Thursday, May 2:
- Workshop with Amy from 9:00am - 2:30pm
- Hosted Sayonara Pizza & Prizes Party from 4:00pm - 6:00pm (more information in the “EVENTS” section below)
Dessert in the Desert: April 28
- Held at Town Square Park: 50 S. Main St., St. George, UT 84770
- 6:30pm – 7:30pm
- FREE! Desserts & bottled water included
Snow Canyon (optional): April 29
- Address: 1002 N. Snow Canyon Rd, Ivins, UT 84738
- NO transportation provided! We will all carpool together after class
- Meet at the park entrance at 3:30pm
- PARK FEES NOT INCLUDED:
- Utah Resident: $10 per vehicle (up to eight people)/$5 per vehicle (up to eight people) for Seniors 65 and older (with UT driver’s license)
- Non-resident: $15 per vehicle (up to eight people)
Happy Hour & Mexican Dinner: April 30
- Held at Worldmark of St. George, in Ann’s unit at 1157 Gap Canyon Parkway, St. George, UT 84770
- 4:00pm – 5:15pm
- FREE! Wine & soft drinks included
- Followed by unhosted dinner at Irmita’s Mexican Café. Humble place but with world-class Mexican food.
- Optional. Address: 95 W 700 S, St. George, UT 84770
Bryce Canyon (optional) – you're welcome to join us for a group trip to Bryce Canyon National Park on our private chartered bus: May 1
- 7:30am - Hotel Departure
- Light snacks and water provided on bus
- 10:00am - Bryce arrival
- 12:30pm – Box lunch provided on bus
- 3:30pm - Bryce Departure
- Light snacks and water provided on bus
- 6:00pm - Hotel Arrival
- Additional cost for roundtrip transportation on our private chartered bus: $90 per person: Select "St. George Artist's Escape PLUS Chartered Bus Tour of Bryce Canyon" from the drop-down menu when you Register >>
Pizza & Prizes Sayonara Party: May 2
- 4:00pm – 6:00pm
- Bring your own Sayonara Fan. Loads of prizes for best fan, most colorful fan, biggest fan, funniest fan, etc! Make your own or decorate a ready-made fan. Let your creativity fly!
- FREE! Pizza, soda, fun & prizes!
You are welcome to stay wherever you like, BUT we have special group pricing available at Best Western Plus Abbey Inn.
Mention: Colored Pencil Bliss when/if you call to book.
Or CLICK HERE to book online at the special group rate discounted pricing.
Special discounted group rate starts at $125 + taxes. Includes complimentary buffet breakfast, parking, and pool/hot tub.
TRANSPORTATION:The closest major airport is in Las Vegas, the Harry Reid International Airport. If you fly into Las Vegas, you can drive to St. George, or take a shuttle.
- It is 112 miles to St. George from Las Vegas, approximately 2 hours and 15 minutes to drive.
- Airport shuttle from Las Vegas to St. George: starts at $30
- It is about a 15-25 minute drive from the St. George airport to Best Western Plus Abbey Inn.
Since there are several dining options included, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org if you have allergies that we need to be made aware of.
- Cancellations made over 60 days prior – 75% refund
- Cancellations made less than 60 - 30 days prior – 40% refund
- Cancellations made less than 30 days prior – 20% refund in the form of store credit
Email: email@example.com OR firstname.lastname@example.org